Specht's Crossing  

Area settlers in horse-drawn carriages used this gravel bed low water crossing of the San Antonio-Blanco Road to reach the German settlement of Spring Branch.

Despite frequent floods, use of the crossing increased during the years (1875-1906). Spring Branch postmaster Hans (Von) Specht maintained the post office in his hilltop home overlooking the crossing. Thereafter known as Specht's Crossing, it was later used by automobile travelers until replaced by a low water bridge in 1920.

In 1934 a new bridge was constructed by the Civil Works Administration. (1993)

 

Marker Location: just west of bridge over Spring Branch 4.5 mi. west of Spring Branch community on county road

     

Click on the photos for full size view

 
 

Official Government website for Comal County 2015. All rights reserved.