The Church of Saints Peter and Paul  

German Catholic colonists, who came to New Braunfels in 1845, obtained their promised church and school site (1847) when Bishop John M. Odin deeded four lots here on "Lustiger Strumpf" (Happy Stocking) Hill -- so called from its shape.

A log cabin at first, and then a walnut wood chapel stood here. Since 1871 this Gothic church of native limestone has crowned the hill.

The church steeple, felled by an 1881 storm, was rebuilt and had a clock added in 1889.

Franciscan Conventual Fathers, Benedictines, and Sisters of Divine Providence have, by turns, conducted school. 1976

 

Marker Location: 386 N. Castell, New Braunfels

Historical Marker Information During Application (abbreviated)

 

     

 

Click on the photos for full size view

 
 

Official Government website for Comal County 2015. All rights reserved.