River Crossing Used by New Braunfels' First Settlers  

At the crossing of the San Antonio-Nacogdoches Road on the Guadalupe River (used earlier by some of Texas' most famous trail-blazers) about 200 German colonists ended a journey that had begun six months before, in Europe.

Here, on Good Firday,1845, they founded the town of New Braunfels. Named for the estate of Prince Solms-Braunfels, the commissioner-general of the German Emigration Society.

Part of a wave of German colonists,1844-1847, this small group and others like it have left a distinctive mark on the heritage and culture of Texas. (1968)

 

Marker Location: at corner of Porter and McKenna in front of Mission Valley Mills, New Braunfels

 

Click on the photos for full size view

 
 

Official Government website for Comal County 2015. All rights reserved.