Site of Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe Mission - Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission

Established on 1756 in the Guadalupe River at or near present New Braunfels as an extension of the ill-fated Mission San Francisco Xavier de Horcasitas (1746-1755).

Earlier located 100 miles northeast, San Francisco Xavier had been shaken by attacks, disease, and strife between friars and soldiers, which had climaxed in the murder of a friar in 1752.

Although most of the personnel and Indian converts (neophytes) fled, the mission continued until 1755. After that time it moved to the Guadalupe River to gather its scattered Mayeye Indians, who refused to enter Valero Mission (the Alamo) in San Antonio.

Like the other three San Xavier missions, San Francisco Xavier was short-lived.

Good features at the site included five springs, fertile fields, timber, meadows and the nearby river.

Two friars ran the small mission, with a citizen guard, so as to avoid friction. Four Spanish families and 41 Indians (27 of them baptized) comprised the inhabitants of the mission as of January, 1757.

Never a strong mission, Guadalupe continued only until March, 1758. At this time the church withdrew its staff because of increasingly dangerous raids by Comanche's and other northern tribes.

 

Marker Location: on Gazebo Circle, New Braunfels

Historical Marker Information During Application (abbreviated)

Click on the photos for full size view

 
 

Official Government website for Comal County 2015. All rights reserved.