New Braunfels Cemetery  

Dedicated at the burial of Mrs. Elise Peter, on June 23,1845, a few months after New Braunfels was founded. This cemetery gave rest to many colonists in early years of hardship that besieged the German Emigration Company.

Gerlach Peter, husband of the first tenant, was buried in July as one other of the 20 fatalities of 1845.

There were 348 burials in 1846. A ferry operator, Johann Justus Kellner (1821-51), has the oldest stone.

There are 753 marked and hundreds of unmarked graves. The last vacant lot was sold in 1945.

No burials are allowed except in lots purchased before 1946.

 

Marker Location: near center of cemetery, 2000 US 81 west (business route) New Braunfels

Click on the photos for full size view

 
 

Official Government website for Comal County 2015. All rights reserved.