Mission Valley School  

German settlers established the mission valley community, named for an earlier Spanish mission, in the mid 1840's, area families educated their children in their homes before brothers Karl and Julius Brehmer donated land for the first community school in 1870. 

Trustees built a frame schoolhouse, and in 1884 a larger limestone school on and acquired from Friedrich and Emilie Heidrich; The frame school the became a teacherage.  New Braunfels independent School District annexed Mission Valley in 1952.  Since that time this site, which includes the historic frame and stone schoolhouses, stone cisterns and other features, has served as a community center. 

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 2009.

   

 

Click on the photos for full size view

 
 

Official Government website for Comal County 2015. All rights reserved.